Sunday, September 5, 2010

(Almost) Superlative Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe: Superlative Chocolate Chip Cookies
Source: Junior League of Las Vegas Glitter to Gourmet
Ingredients: Readily available
Party in the Tummy Scale: 8

I admit it... when it comes to cookies, especially chocolate cookies... I am a snob.  I firmly believe I have the best chocolate chip cookie recipe known to kitchens everywhere, so it takes a lot to impress me in this area.  However, with a name like "Superlative Chocolate Chip Cookies", I had to try it.  You never know... there just may be another recipe out there better than mine.

Or not.

Someday I may share my recipe... but I don't know if I am ready to put it "out there" to the world.















The recipe intrigued me not only because of the name, but also because of some of the ingredients.  It called for oatmeal, but not a lot.  It also called for cinnamon.  And lemon juice.  Hm...















When these first came out of the oven, they were a bit flat, and fragile.  I ate one warm, and actually wasn't impressed.  The next day though, they were much better, and pretty darned yummy.  My favorite?  No.  But not a bad cookie, at all.  One thing I didn't care for was the oatmeal.  I love oatmeal, especially in the cookie form, but this recipe called for just enough to make the texture a little bit funky.  I did however, adore the addition of the cinnamon.  It was just enough to add depth to the flavor without tasting cinnamony.  And the lemon juice... well, I'm not really sure what it's purpose was.















My children, my husband, my brother, and my parents, non of whom are cookie snobs, all enjoyed these.  Especially the kids... they asked for some ever day until they were gone!  So, if it were just me, I would have given them a 7.  Since everyone else liked them so much though, they deserve an 8!

Superlative Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
2 sticks butter, softened
1/2 c. vegetable shortening
1 1/3 c. sugar
1 c. packed brown sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
3 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. rolled oats
4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
2 c. chopped walnuts

Directions:
Combine the butter, shortening, sugar and brown sugar in a mixing bowl.  Beat with an electric mixer at high speed for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in the vanilla and lemon juice.

Mix the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and oats in a bowl.  Add to the butter mixture gradually and beat until mixed.  Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.  Drop by spoonfuls 2 inches apart onto nonstick cookie sheets.

Bake at 325 degrees for 17 minutes for soft cookies or bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes for crisp cookies.  Remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool.  Yield: 4 to 5 dozen.

2 comments:

  1. You know my secret? I don't put salt in my choc chip cookies, instead I add one package of instant vanilla pudding. Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany... I just recently tried the vanilla pudding trick! It was very yummy.

    ReplyDelete