Monday, July 26, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner!





Recipe: Dutch Babies
Source: Recipes Shared book (courtesy of my good friend Ann T.)
Ingredients: Already in your pantry
Difficulty: Beyond easy
Party in the Tummy Scale (1-10): 8

I decided tonight that DB and I were going to make Dutch Babies out of the Recipes Shared book.  Not because I have gained 5 pounds in month, and not because we had donuts for breakfast today (and throughout the day really... who am I kidding).  I decided to make these because I had all of the ingredients on hand, and... I have had this recipe for 8 years now and have never actually made it but always wanted to.  Tonight was the last night of our girls weekend as well, as R and Bub come back tonight and I figured we might as well go out with a bang.  DB just turned three, and when I announced that mommy was making a giant pancake for dinner, her little green eyes lit right up!

I have known Ann since I was 21 and working in advertising, which some days seems like forever ago.  She got this recipe from her mother-in-law who is a domestic goddess.  I knew this had to be good.  Ann threw one of my bridal showers, and has since gone on to open her own amazing stationery boutique that I happen to work at one or two Saturdays a month. http://www.shopannabelles.com/.

Back to the recipe...


How simple are these ingredients?  Really... that's it!


Whip it all together, stick it in the oven and it turns into this...


Which looks kind of cool, but not all that spectacular on its own...


That is, until you fancy it up!



Then, your plate will quickly turn into this, and you will be happy.


Very happy.

Dutch Babies

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 c. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. milk
Fresh lemon juice, powdered sugar, maple syrup, berries, etc.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
Put all ingredients into a blender and mix until well blended.
Pour batter into a greased Dutch Baby pan (a round ceramic dish).
Bake until pancake is puffy and golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes.
Top with lemon juice and and powdered sugar or butter and maple syrup.

Notes: I did not put everything in the blender.  I just put it in a bowl and whisked it really well.  I also did not have a really large, round ceramic dish, so I used a large, oven safe saute pan.  This took about 25 minutes to turn golden brown for me, and once it did, DB and I added strawberries, maple syrup and powdered sugar to ours!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great breakfast to me. I've never had these before.

    ReplyDelete