Sunday, August 15, 2010

Herb Chicken

Recipe: Herb Chicken
Source: The Essential Mormon Cookbook
Ingredients: Readily available
Yummy in the Tummy Scale: 8+

Funny thing about the word "Herb".  Do you remember being little and pronouncing it like the man's name instead of "erb" with the silent "h"?  I still want to do that every time I see this word.  This section of the cookbook also included recipes for cheese with herbs, herb butter, salad dressing with herbs, herb croutons, and fresh lemonade with mint.  Makes you want to go out and buy a bunch of "erbs" right now!

I digress... back to the recipe!

This recipe was easy peasy, and oh-so-good!  The only reason it didn't get a higher score was that a couple of my chicken breasts were too thick and I should have pounded them first.  I had a little helper in the kitchen though, so I was trying to get this raw chicken in the oven pronto!

Speaking of funny things, I am a little bit funny when it comes to raw chicken, or any kind of raw meat for that matter.  I was married for two years before I would touch raw meat... I kid you not.  Even when I make it now I make the kids get out of the kitchen so they aren't anywhere near it, and I wash my hands about 10 times with scalding water.  Weird.  Well... I prefer to think of it as quirky.  I happen to have a lot of quirks!

There is is... in all of it's pre-baked glory.  Just don't touch it... it's RAW!  Blech!  So pretty though with that fresh parsley and ready to go in the oven!  This is great for a weeknight meal, and would be company worthy as well.  The herbs and butter really bring out a lot of flavor and the chicken wasn't dry at all.  My son who happens to not be a chicken fan unless it is followed by the word "nugget", ate this up and asked for seconds.  His words were "this chicken is goooooood!"

Herb Chicken

Ingredients:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 c. butter, melted
1c. grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
1 c. herb-seasoned stuffing mix
1/4 tsp. dried sage
1/4 tsp. dried thyme

Directions:
Rinse chicken and pat with paper towels to remove moisture.  In a small bowl combine all ingredients except chicken.  Stir together until well combined.  Place each chicken breast in herb mixture and coat on both sides.  Place on greased baking sheet and cook at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes.

Notes:
I changed a few things here.  I only used four breasts instead of 6, as there are only four of us.  I also only used 1/2 c. butter, which was plenty.  Instead of using 1/4 tsp of sage and 1/4 tsp. of thyme, I used 1/2 tsp. of poultry seasoning since it includes both herbs.  I also pounded the stuffing into crumbs.  I didn't want big stuffing chunks on my chicken.  I ended up using my hands (blech, again!) to pat the stuffing mixture on the chicken to help it adhere.  This worked well and prevented a lot of the mixture from falling off.  And remember, if your chicken breasts are on the thick side, pound them out a bit before baking.

1 comment:

  1. The funny thing with the word "herb" is that here in little New Zealand we do pronounce the H! It still makes me laugh hearing Americans say "erb". :)

    ReplyDelete