Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mormon Meals
















Cookbook:  The Essential Mormon Cookbook: Green Jell-O, Funeral Potatoes, and Other Secret Combinations
Availability: amazon.com or your local Deseret bookstore.
Shelf Factor: This one holds a lot of memorable food for me, so it's a keeper!

Let me start off by saying, I am not Mormon.  My mom is Mormon though, and I was raised Mormon when I was very young.  My mother's whole side of the family (well, just about) are still practicing members of the LDS church.  LDS members are some of the most down-to-earth, friendly, give until it hurts people you will ever meet.  And oh yeah... most of them really know how to cook!  Sometimes I want to be one of them... I really do.

I came upon this book while perusing my local bookstore.  I always like to look in the regional/American cookbook section, and I stumbled upon this one because of the spiral binding.  I pulled it out, and as soon as I read "Green Jell-O and Funeral Potatoes", I was hooked.  I hadn't come across these recipes in years, and boy did I ever miss them!  Well, one of them at least.  Hint: Green Jell-O will not be making an appearance on Cookbook Confessions anytime soon.  Or ever.  EVER.  Did I say "ever"?  Just want to make sure we are all clear on that matter.

Warning: This cookbook does not contain pictures.  Nope, not a single one of them.  Why that bothers so many people, I'm not sure.  So, if you want pictures of these recipes, the only ones you are getting are pictures of the ones I'm posting here.  Now onto the good parts of the book...
















The book is set up to have the recipes divided into four seasons.  Above is a sample of the summer season header.  I love this!  Each section also has subsections that break out recipes by theme or by occasion.  It is a very family centered, celebration oriented book.  The recipes are simple, and the ingredients can be found at your grocery store.  They are also very yummy, and unique (hello... Funeral Potatoes???)!  I could review this cookbook for a month, there are so many great recipes... the winter section alone is a goldmine for sweet treats to give away as gifts.

Follow me this week as I visit the summer section of this book and cook up some goodies.  And speaking of sweet treats, I will be skipping ahead to the "Winter" section to make some addicting candy!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, you'll have to post some!! I love that it's broken up into seasons - classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made me very curious about the Green Jello! so I looked it up and was surprised to find it is very similar to something my mother makes with lemon/yellow jello/jelly which she calls Bavarian Cream or Creme? Crazy :).

    ReplyDelete