Thursday, August 12, 2010

Lemon Bar BOMB
















Recipe: Lemon Bars
Source: The Essential Mormon Cookbook
Ingredients: Readily available
Difficulty: Easy (or so I thought)
Yummy in the Tummy Scale: ZERO (unless you ask DB)

One of the things about cooking from cookbooks is that not every new recipe is going to turn out great.  This is one of those recipes!  I will share the good, the bad, and the ugly here... and this is one of the uglies.  It all started out well... the kids were helping me, and they were excited...
















REALLY excited...
















First, we made our crust.  It turned out great.  See?

Then, we made our filling.  We poured it on top of our crust, and back in the oven it went.  The recipe said to cook for 25 minutes until golden and, golden it was.  It looked beautiful... see?

The recipe said to let cool, then cut into bars.  We let it cool all afternoon.  I then left to teach my cake decorating class, and told R that the kids could have some for dessert.  I got a text during class that the lemon bars were good, but they were also a bit runny.  This is what I came home to...

Whoa Nellie... you call that runny?  I call it complete liquid!  Something went wrong... WAY wrong.  And the poor kids... R made them each have a bite!  Coop or course hated it (who could blame him?), but DB, my little eater loved it, liquid and all!

Recipe is posted below, but DON'T make this!  Something you should know about me is that when a recipe goes wrong in my house, it becomes a mission of mine to not only fix it, but to perfect it.  No doubt, I will be back shortly with a new an improved recipe!

Lemon Bars

Ingredients:
2 c. sifted flour
1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar
1 c. butter or margarine
4 beaten eggs
2 c. sugar
1/3 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Directions:
Sift together the 2 c. flour and powdered sugar.  Cut in butter with pastry blender or knives until mixture clings together.  Press into and 8x8 inch pan.  Bake at 250 for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Beat together eggs, sugar, and lemon juice.  Sift together the 1/4 c. flour and baking powder.  Stir into egg mixture.  Pour over baked crust.  Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes longer.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Cool.  Cut into bars.  Makes 9 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment